August 2, 2010

Cath-Kidston Style Retro Kitchen Step Stool

For some bizarre reason I forgot to take a 'before' photo of this, but it was just your typical 1970's hardworking kitchen step stool.  The vinyl cover was ripped and all the foam cushion padding has gone brittle and fallen out the rip and disappeared.  Here she is after her makeover:
It really is super-cute; the kids have fallen totally in love with it and I must say, it is a really practical stool to have around.  I may just have to hunt another one out to upcycle as a keeper - this one is already for sale here and got a bid on it the day after I listed it, so it will sell this week.

7 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a stool like this FOREVER. My grandparents used to have one and I loved it. They ARE really handy and I'm all about multi-functional. {sigh} You picked a beautiful fabric, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet reminder of that era. This took me back to when my grandparents had a similar stool in their kitchen. They have both passed on, but I remember sitting on that stool and talking to my grandmother while she scooped me up a small dish of vanilla icecream.

    I like the vinyl that you chose for it, where did you get it from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally gorgeous and very practical too. Beautiful job.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so stinkin cute! I love the fabric and the way the seat lifts up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I have a DIY blog. Today I purchased a vintage stool at a garage sale for $5.00. I immediately knew I wanted to refinish it in retro style; but thought I would surf online for some photos of other ideas to post on my tutorial. I came across your lovely blog. I have joined. What a great job you do! (I am also pleased to find that I got a great bargain today :)). I would love to have you follow my blog - you'll see the finished product soon, I hope!
    Cheers,
    AmericKim

    ReplyDelete

  6. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post.

    Tile refinishing

    ReplyDelete