November 2, 2013

Pure White Sideboard

Hello, today I've got a gorgeous sideboard transformation to show you.  It was a custom job for Paula, a lovely client of mine who has entrusted me with a few pieces of her furniture, such as this hall stand...
this china cabinet
and this desk.

Here's what the sideboard looked like before I worked my magic:
I just love to paint this type of furniture - it is solid, sturdy, has nice lines, and looks amazing once painted!
This one was hiding a bit of a secret.  It had been stored for a while and wasn't being used. As we pulled it out from the wall to load it into my car, we discovered this:
A very mouldy backing board! Our sub tropical climate is quite humid at times and as such, mould can thrive before you know it. 
Of course it looked bad, but I knew it would be simple to fix by removing it and installing a fresh new one.
I used 3mm MDF and got the lovely man at Bunnings to cut it to size for me. I primed and painted it in a fresh green (Dulux French Limestone) before stapling it on after I had painted the sideboard.
The sideboard itself was painted in Annie Sloan Pure White - it was my first time using Pure White as I would never choose to use a pure bright untinted white myself, as I find it too stark. However, after using this I am converted! It is a beautiful colour and goes so well on this type of furniture. It did take 5 coats to get a coverage I was happy with, but had expected that as I had read others say similar.
Here's the finished article, looking all beachy and fresh.







I delivered the sideboard back to Paula's gorgeous home yesterday, and came home with the next project - this bookcase which is going beachy in pale Duck Egg and White...really looking forward to this one - it's going to look beautiful!




3 comments:

  1. looks great Karen, especially without the mould. good to see you getting lots of work!
    I also love pure white. so crisp and pretty.
    looking forward to seeing what you do with the bookcase
    have a good evening
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete