November 21, 2013

Coffee Table turned Bench Seat

This is a project I've seen lots on the internet and wanted to try for a while.

I finally found the perfect coffee table to use as a bench...and I don't have a before photo...oops!

I'll just have to skip to the pretty shots then :)

I painted the base and legs in a custom mix of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Duck Egg and Old White, then gave it a light wash using Paris Grey before distressing then sealing with clear wax.
I had an idea for the upholstered top - I wanted to give it a point of difference, so I bought some covered button kits from Spotlight, and used a combination of some of my favourite fabrics on them - six in total.
For the upholstered top I firstly measured where I wanted the buttons, and drilled holes through the tabletop for the button strings to be threaded through.  I then attached some foam rubber with spray adhesive, making a slight indent in the padding where the button holes were, then wrapped the top in wadding.  I used  a lovely linen and wool mix fabric that I have had for some time - here is the Daybed project I originally bought it for.
This upholstery job was completed by a professional.
I attached the buttons using a method I found here.





This piece (and the cushion) got snapped up at the first market I took it to :)
Linking up with:



7 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous! Love the different buttons! the one I did was the 1st thing to sell, have to make another!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful bench! And the buttons are just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Karen! Love the fabric, looks so luxe!
    I would happily plonk myself down on it ;-)
    No before?!? How could you forget?! Lol, I've done it soo many times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. What a talented arty-farty little Kiwi you are! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome article! I have gradually become fan of your article and would like to suggest putting some new updates to make it more effective.
    Home Decor Tutor

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great Karen you did a really nice job-dee x

    ReplyDelete