November 2, 2013

English Yellow Phone Table

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in English Yellow was made available for those of us in Australia and New Zealand to purchase this week, so I had to get my hands on some and try it out!
Here is the piece I decided to use as my trial piece for this colour - a sad and tired looking vintage phone table.

As soon as the courier van dropped off the paint from Crab Apple Vintage in Newcastle I got straight to work and painted the phone table with two coats of English Yellow...boy was it BRIGHT!  I had a feeling that it would be a little too bright for this particular piece, but thought I would try it anyway, knowing that if I then applied more coats in a lightened shade, I would end up with a great layered effect when I distressed the piece - I also did this on the Seafoam Doily Chair using ASCP in Florence.
I applied two coats of the full strength colour then two of a mix of English Yellow and Pure White in equal parts. The lightened mix takes it from an almost mustard colour to a pretty buttercup shade.


Here she is, all done. I also reupholstered the seat pad using one of my favourite English-made floral cottons...an English made floral I thought was fitting for the English Yellow paint :)
I decided to change the existing handle for something more quirky, so filled the old holes then drilled a new one.

I do love bright and happy colours mixed with pastels, they just make me smile :)


My verdict on English Yellow? I love it, for certain pieces, and I very much look forward to finding the right sideboard or hutch dresser to put it on!

Linking up with:


6 comments:

  1. adorable...this will surely go fast.
    bec x

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice Karen love your knob...not being naughty-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very pretty! The knob really makes it stand out too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Karen! I love the colour, will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually find these so fugly, I walk away. I must say I am not a yellow, fan, but you might have just changed my mind. It is super cute.

    ReplyDelete