October 19, 2013

Seafoam Doily Chair

Well, this week finished better than it started...on Monday our bedroom flooded due to a blocked drain in the shower. Pulling up the carpet and forking out several hundreds of dollars to a plumber and a carpet layer wasn't how I planned to start my week!  These things happen though and it was all fixed by Thursday which meant I could focus on finishing some painting projects.
This chair was one of the items I finished, and I am really pleased how it turned out.  Once again I've been playing with mixing Annie Sloan Chalk paint colours, this time it was one part Florence to twelve parts Old White, which made this lovely light seafoam colour.
Because it's just a single chair (I don't have any others to match it), I wanted to do something a little different to it to give it some personality.  I decided the Doily Stencil I bought at Spotlight a few weeks ago would do the trick!
Because the chair seat has a bit of a moulded shape to it (it's not completely flat) it was a bit tricky to spread the stencil out nicely, but my daughter was my willing assistant and helped hold it down while I dabbed on the Old White paint. It only took a couple of minutes, and how exciting is it pulling a stencil off to reveal the design!
Can you see the darker green peeping through in these shots?  That's Florence - I used it full strength as a base coat before I painted on two coats of the lightened mixture. 

Lots of sanding, clear wax and buffing gives the chair a gorgeous sheen :)


I also finished a desk for a client that you can see in the above shot - I will be back with a post about that later...right now I am going to try and finish a French Linen coffee table that I posted a peek of on my Facebook page last night.

Have a lovely Saturday everyone!



4 comments:

  1. very sweet design and a lovely colour Karen, have a great weekend
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colour and I really love the doiley ...I just adore doileys-love dee x

    ReplyDelete