October 3, 2013

French Willow Grey Whitewashed Chairs

Earlier this week I was having a bit of a switch around of my home (as you do) and decided I needed a couple more chairs 
(if you knew just how many chairs I already have in my home...

 (**cough** it's more than 30 **cough**)

...you might think there is something wrong with me...)
 ;) 

But I did NEED two more, and a trip to my local Salvation Army Op Shop solved that...I found a pair of these for $6 each - perfect!
Sorry but this is as good as it gets for a 'before' shot - one chair with paint on it already, and no seat!  The seats were loose so I removed them and painted them separately before reattaching them.
My love of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in French Linen continues - I wanted a real French country style willow grey worn look for these chairs, and ASCP French Linen is the perfect base shade for this look.

I gave each chair two coats of French Linen, then made a wash of French Linen and Old White (1:1) and watered it down just slightly.  
With this look/effect it will never be exactly the same each time but that is the beauty of it...the best way I find is to literally just slap the paint on quickly and confidently and don't over think it!

These photos show one chair (on the left) after sanding/distressing (before waxing), and one (on the right) before sanding/distressing.  Sanding the chair tones the 'wash' right down and makes it softer and more mellow.


Here they are completed with a coat of Annie Sloan Wax in Clear. The roses are the very first to bloom from my garden this Spring...they were buds the day before, I was amazed at how quickly they opened!












Ok...I have to ask...how many chairs do you have at your house?
Linking up with:




10 comments:

  1. I just love the look of your pretty chairs and your vignette with the antique sign and heart. Great job!
    I have more chairs than I count and like you, I have a thing for them! LOL!
    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chairs they look so good.I have 20 chairs.Not to bad -love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them Karen!! Love the colour - my French Linen is getting a bit of a work out at the moment!

    ps Can you tell I'm catching up on the blogs I love?? I'm so behind in my reading I just decided to visit the blogs that inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your chairs, love the color, love how you styled them.

    You just gave me an idea for a chair I have that needs love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great chairs, love the new finish. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/10/185th-inspire-me-tuesday.html. Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great finish!! Totally changes them up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it about chairs.........😚

    ReplyDelete