September 19, 2013

French Linen Hall Stand

Last week I ordered a new to me Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® colour - French Linen.  I wasn't sure I'd love it - the sample on the colour charts doesn't really appeal to me, but I had seen plenty of projects online where people had used the colour, and it certainly looked better on furniture than a little dab on a piece of paper.

Lately I've been doing lots of bright and colourful pieces so I decided it would be a nice change to tone it down a bit and do a neutral - I guess my signature style is bright and happy but that doesn't mean that is all I do - or all I can do!
Please keep that in mind if you are thinking of commissioning me to do a piece of furniture ;)

This hall stand is what I decided to try it on...
It's a lovely piece of furniture, but just a bit dark and dated.

I fixed that by painting on two coats of French Linen, then a wash of Old White, before waxing with clear wax.  Here's how it looks now...
I absolutely love the French Linen colour, it is a really beautiful brownish grey - it reminds me of that gorgeous willow grey colour. The whitewash has lightened up the colour, and possibly made it more grey looking.










I love this hall stand so much I wanted to keep it...but sadly it doesn't work in my front entrance way, so it is for sale...please contact karen@restyledvintage.com for details :)

7 comments:

  1. Glad you love French Linen Karen, its a fantastic colour. The hallstand looks awesome. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen once again another beautiful piece it really does look good,love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is just so beautiful, I adore it.
    sharing on my fb page.
    good to chat today
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love how this looks....I am interested to know if you plan on restyling the chair in the reflection as I have one identical!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a pretty piece- your finish is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto what Cassie said!
    And I agree, it doesn't look that exciting on the little sample but works so beautifully on furniture! (From photos, having never used it myself) it really gives a piece a French provincial type look - which is popular down this way :-)
    Beautiful work Karen! X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why you'd want to keep it, it looks lovely and the white wash is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete