September 20, 2013

Farmhouse Hutch Dresser in Duck Egg and Old White

A couple of weeks ago I walked into one of my local haunts and spotted this...
a solid timber dark stained hutch dresser...I had to have it of course!

I love upcycling hutch dressers - in fact the very first piece of furniture I painted was a hutch dresser 
(no need to start small and work up, is there?)

I have only actually done two this year - this one, and the Florence hutch a few weeks ago.  I just don't find too many decent ones at a decent price, so I was thrilled to find this one :)  I got straight to work on it, removing the top glass doors then painting three coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in Duck Egg on the outside, and around four coats of Old White on the inside (I lost count!)

I distressed it by hand, then waxed with Annie Sloan's Clear Wax.

Here's how it turned out...
I think that leaving the doors off the top gives it quite a different look and feel- obviously more dusting will be required, but I think it gives better and more versatile display options.

I could see this piece in a kitchen, dining area, kids room, playroom or even a large bathroom.  
It would also make a sweet display space in a shop or salon.
You could even use the top shelves as a bookcase...something that would look odd if it still had the doors on it!

I think the Duck Egg colour works really well over dark stained pieces...not so much over orange/tan pine which seems to clash quite badly and change the tone of the paint.

The pink and the yellow vintage plates belonged to my late Mother in law -I love them, and miss her!  The plate in the centre I found at a second hand store in Havelock North, New Zealand, on a road trip holiday in 2011.  You may recognise these plates - they appear in my blog header!






 And...a side by side...
This piece was snapped up last night as soon as I had the photos up :)
Linking up with:




4 comments:

  1. It's huge, lucky for your big studio! great colour combo and great sales Karen, you certainly know your market. have a good weekend
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Karen - and I love that you took the doors off, as you say it gives you loads more options. I'd love to try one myself one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really very pretty!! I love it. I just purchased a hutch yesterday that I want to make over. I use chalk paint on my pieces all the time but can you tell me, did you sand or prime your piece??? Since it had that heavy stain? Any bleed through?

    ReplyDelete