June 12, 2013

Transforming a Metal Tray with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

Hello :)  Just a quick post here tonight, showing you a wee project I did the other day.
(Yes I said wee...it means small and is commonly used in NZ (borrowed from our Scots heritage), not so much in Australia apparently, where it amuses many people, so they tell me, lol!)

I wanted to try out Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on something other than wooden furniture, and I particularly wanted to see how it performed on shiny metal.  Here is the 'wee' tray I chose as my trial piece.  It is made of stainless steel.
I chose it because of the rose detail around the edges, I knew that would give lots of places for the wax to settle and give a great 'antiqued' effect.

I cleaned the tray and when it was dry I painted it with two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.  With each coat I brushed the paint on in a random effect, to ensure plenty of texture.  I also dragged my brush back over my paintwork once it had just started to dry, to rough it up a bit for more texture.

Once completely dry I lightly distressed the tray with a fine sanding sponge, then applied Annie Sloan wax in  'Clear', then 'Dark'.  This changed the colour of the tray completely. I wiped off the excess dark wax, buffed it, and here it is...
These photos show the texture that I created on the flat surface of the tray by the random brushing technique I described above.  The amazing thing though is that while it looks textured it feels very smooth.  Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is definitely the best paint to get this effect with - you can get it with ordinary acrylic paints but this one does it best.

I hope I've showed you that you really can paint anything with this paint, and maybe even encouraged you to give it a go?



10 comments:

  1. Wow Karen, that looks amazing. Is there any end to what you can do with ASCP?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness me, this stuff will stick to ANYTHING! You've done a wonderful job creating the texture and bringing it out with the waxing. I suspect that working with it could be quite addictive. I had a look for the nearest ASCP to Dunedin and found one in Cromwell of all places, what a great incentive to take a trip up Central next time we go home. I want to paint the dark stained kitchen table and chairs at the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great....might even encourage me to do something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. who would have thought that you could do something like that with paint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really does look amazing Karen - I love the texture you achieved on the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow great idea!! it kinda looks like old concrete!
    It is the bees knees for texture ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's come out fabulous Karen! I need to try this chalk paint I think :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow that is quite a transformation you would hardly recognise the original

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! Found you when I was searching for chalk paint on metal and I am so glad I did! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought a large metal tray from a thrift store - it has lots of detail and handles. NOW i know what I'll do with it - thank you!

    ReplyDelete