June 2, 2013

Shabby Chic Tea Trolley

Hi, I'm back to share another project using this awesome paint.  I've had this tea trolley for a few years and never quite got around to painting it, then decided some time ago to leave it until I could paint it in ASCP.
Here's an old photo of it in our home in NZ.  I got so excited to get right to work on it the other day that I didn't take a 'before' shot. 
(The fake flower in the tin jug gets around, doesn't it, lol...I bet it appears on this blog dozens of times, I know it was here right back at the start!)
I painted it with two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White, hand distressed with 240 grit sandpaper, cleaned it down thoroughly then waxed with Annie Sloan Clear Wax.

I love the way that this paint distresses so easily.  If you put the paint on in a haphazard fashion as opposed to trying to apply it in nice straight lines, it gives an interesting dimension to your finished piece. I've done this on certain pieces using 'standard' paint and it also gives a great effect, particularly if you intend to dark wax your piece.
Something else I've mentioned before is that when you have an old piece with some chipping, crazing or bubbling in the varnish, don't sand it all smooth, use it to your advantage to add to the shabby aged effect.  You can see in these photos where the edges were a bit dinged and chipped, I don't see this as a fault, I see it as character!

The drawer front is a bit of a different colour to the rest of the piece, because I had actually painted it off white a while ago...I just painted the Chalk Paint™ over the top.  Again, I think it all just adds character :)


5 comments:

  1. looks fab Karen! finally ordered myself a couple of tins of chalk paint!! Sandy is posting it out to me tomorrow, so will have it just in time for the long weekend!! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute piece! I must try not painting it on too neat and see how it goes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Karen! And I love the crazy sections, I've just done a chair like it and I couldn't be happier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Karen -nice to see you enjoying chalk paint. would love to see what you think about it compared to your usual paint and also if you'll continue using it. I've now bought several cans but will still use latex as well. This is a sweet little side table and looks lovely. Hope it sells quickl;y for you - your etsy store looks great.
    I find the white colours very translucent and end up usually undercoating as I am not a fan of how the wood shows through when the wax is applied - but you know i'm never good with distressing!!
    hope your studies are going well and you are still getting lots of time to enjoy with your folks.
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete