September 21, 2012

Furniture Makeover: Shabby Chic White Sideboard






This sideboard actually spent its previous life as the bottom half of a hutch dresser.
Solid pine in that golden colour that is everywhere.
I had already removed all the doors and started prepping it before I remembered to take a before shot.

I thought about the size of it, and who would potentially purchase it, and what they would use it for.  
As my main sales channel is market stalls, transporting a piece of this size is tricky, as is displaying it safely on grass at a market.

My decision was made (only after I had prepped and primed it though.  Oops!)  This hutch dresser was going to become a sideboard.  Lighter, easier and safer to transport and display, and a much more multifunctional piece of furniture that would fit in many more homes than a large 3 door hutch dresser.

I kept it simple with a lovely off white, sealed with wax.







I painted the interior with a water based semi gloss enamel.
I used the original handles, I thought they suited it quite well.


This piece is for sale, details are on my facebook page or you can email me to arrange a viewing

9 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, Looks great and much more versatile without top! What are you going to do with the top? Have a great weekend! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Karen -another great piece, lovely job, hope it sells quickly for you.
    have a great weekend, i'm off to get my hair done which i should just enjoy but don't like sitting still for too long. i only get it done about every 10 months! oh well i think i'll take a book and just try and relax!
    fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty Karen! I like the hardware on that piece. It looks like you're doing a lot of sewing, too. Your pillows are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Karen :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen - I'm a new reader of your blog. You did a fantastic job on this piece. Really pretty!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your upcycle works tranform everything in perfection!

    Lovely Idea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen, I think it turned out beautifully! So many uses for piece this side. I'm sure it will sell quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg I love it... I have a similar cabinet among other pieces that are that golden orange colour...waiting to be transformed....great inspiration. I now know what i'm doing this weekend...painting..yeha!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really looks beautiful Karen!!!
    What a beautiful makeover.
    Did you get the NZ Your Home & Garden Mag today? I did!!!
    Does it make you homesick when you read it?
    My great grandmother was from Akaroa......
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete