October 11, 2012

Before and After: French Country Mirror

I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled across this beauty a couple of weeks ago.
Excuse the photo, was the best I could do in the narrow shop aisle.

This gorgeous mirror was attached to an equally gorgeous console.
I loved all the scrolly mouldings on these pieces and knew they would come up beautifully with the right treatment.  I sanded, cleaned and primed then brushed on three coats of my favourite off white 
(name of which shall remain top secret ;)
I then lightly distressed, cleaned away all the dust then applied a metallic paint finish as a 'glaze'.
Here is how the mirror looks now...
Oh I also chopped off the finials on top of the mirror.  They really didn't do it for me!
I love how all the details pop now, before they were kind of lost in the yellow toned finish.







This mirror will be coming to The Foreshore Market with me this Saturday.

I'll be back soon to reveal the console part.
Furniture Feature Fridays

7 comments:

  1. awesome job Karen! love it's new look.Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kate, me too, ic ould quite happily keep this one!

      Delete
  2. Karen you did a great job and I can't wait to see the console. The finials on my matching mirror were broken off when I bought mine.
    i love your finish on this, very beautiful!
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Finials better off for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Catherine, yep they were past their use by date alright ;)

      Delete
  4. Looks great .you did a fantastic job-love dee

    ReplyDelete