July 25, 2013

Ship Desk

I spotted this cute little desk last week while out treasure hunting - the second I saw it, I knew it was coming home with me. 
I loved its cute retro lines and I had a vision that would make it even cuter.
Why on earth have I called this piece a Ship Desk? Funny you ask that...this is why ;)
It has a ship, delicately pieced into the desk top.  I've never seen anything like it before.  
As cute as it was though, it really didn't fit my vision.

The direction I took with this desk was inspired by the last desk I did, here
This one needed a top and I made a new planked one for it, which I distressed and stained.
I decided to do a similar thing for this new desk, to hide the ship.
This time, after I distressed and stained my 'planks' (new dressed pine from Bunnings) I painted them with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in shades of blue, green, grey and white.
Here's how it looks now...







 I've teamed the desk with one of the chairs from this dining suite and I think it suits it perfectly so I think I will be grabbing another chair like this and painting it Paris Grey :)

This desk is for sale, please email karen@restyledvintage.com for details.

Sharing at

15 comments:

  1. Love it Karen, looks great. I love the lines of that little desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such fun colors and i love the shape! love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I must say I like that little ship, but I can understand it not working on a desk. I love how you used so many colors on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your treatment of this desk! Very eye catching and great colour combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous!!! I love the lines of the desk, you picked the perfect colors!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Karen. So glad I clicked over from Miss Mustard Seed to see your "ship" desk. I was thrilled when I realised it was from a fellow Aussie. Love the green and adore the spindle chair. I am huntin' for a similar spindle chair in kids size (like, two year old size). Why are they ALL in the USA? So hard to come by here in Oz. Charlotte has no-where to sit...poor little pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, such a cute little desk! love the shape of it, and you did a great job with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great makeover - love how you finished the top - just perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great desk would look so good in a boys room-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's seriously adorable! Love the colour combo that you chose, and adding the planks to the top is really smart. I always tend to go buy a big piece of pine to fit, but planks would be way more affordable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this Karen, the planked top is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great color choices! Love, love, love it!

    Emily @ elizabethjoandesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Karen - I loved the little ship's but hard to tell what it looked like in real life (it actually looks as though it was really damaged and of course outdated) but your makeover is lovely and characteristic of Restyled Vintage. The new planks look lovely. I'd recognise it anywhere which is always good for your brand. Hope it's all going well with your booth and your work placement. lots on the go. Thanks for linking to my paint parade -sorry about last week, I've been MIA!
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a cute desk! I really love the planked top and the colors you picked.

    ReplyDelete