July 2, 2013

Coastal Coffee Table

Wow it's July already, where is the year going!?  

On the plus side July is my birthday month and I fully intend to milk it for all it is worth...a week before my birthday last year I got influenza, wow it was awful and I hope I never get it again.  I had my first ever 'flu vaccine this year and will do so from now on.  It took me a good six weeks to feel completely normal again (as normal as I can be, lol), and now I have zero tolerance for people who say they have the 'flu when what they really have is a cold. 
SO not the same thing, as anyone who has actually had the 'flu knows!  

Anyway, the birthday month milking will start in earnest on Friday as we head to Sydney for a long weekend.  Hubby is going to a rugby test and I will be fitting in as much shopping as I possibly can...Birkenhead Point outlet mall, Pottery Barn etc group of stores, Victoria's Basement kitchen/homewares store...and a certain bike shop that sells the cutest bikes in pretty pastel colours...can't wait!

So onto the furniture project...my love affair with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® is growing by the day as I complete more projects and play with colour mixes.
I bought this coffee table online last week.  When I went to pick it up the lady was very apologetic about the state of it and said it was OK if I didn't want to take it once I saw it in the flesh.
It did come with drawers but I forgot to put them in for the photo.  Doesn't look so bad though hey?  What about this angle?
I thanked the lady for giving me an out but said that it didn't bother me at all as I'd be refinishing it.  In fact I was glad it looked like this on top, it probably put a lot of people off ;)
I got to work with my heat gun, stripping the finish off the table top.  It was raining when I was doing this which was quite a good thing as the bits I was scraping off kept catching on fire! 
(Don't worry I was working with a roof over me!)


This is as good as I cared to get it with the heat gun, 120 grit sandpaper on the orbital sander made short work of the rest.
For this piece I chose not to completely sand all the dents and dings out, I wanted to keep a bit of character in the table top.

I did my usual on the table top, then played with a couple of my Annie Sloan Chalk Paints® - Duck Egg and Old White.  I *think* that it was either equal parts of each, or 4 parts of Old White and 3 parts Duck Egg.  Pretty sure it was the latter but if you are wanting to try it, just do equal parts of each, mix well to check the colour, if you don't think it is light enough add one more part of Old White.  When I've been mixing colours I just do it using disposable tablespoons and a plastic disposable plate.  It does pay to be careful to remember your mix, particularly if you have to make up more than one batch for your project.  For this coffee table, my 6 or 7 tablespoons was exactly the right amount for two coats.  Which was lucky for me given my lack of concentration while I was mixing the colour!

After distressing, waxing and buffing, here it is (looking right at home in my family room I might add!)


I love these porcelain crackle knobs, them seem to look great on anything!
Here are some of the dings and dents I left in the table top for character :)
I have used Annie Sloan Wax all over this table, including the top.  The other day I mentioned that I had four tables in my home that I've done in this finish - two of them are sealed with water based poly (two coffee tables, one of these lives outside) and two are waxed (both dining tables).  They all get a hammering, particularly one of the small dining tables as the kids eat their breakfast at it.  It gets plenty of spills and lots of wiping but the surface remains perfectly sealed.  I can't say it has remained in perfect condition however, due to the amount of little kid handwriting that has been indented into the table over the years...grr!  Lucky I know how to refinish tables, aye ;)





I wonder what the lady who owned the coffee table would say if she saw it now?

This is for sale has sold, thanks.
Sharing at Lilyfield LifeSavvy Southern StyleMiss Mustard SeedBlue Egg Brown Nest The Happy Housie and Elizabeth and Co

18 comments:

  1. That is stunning Karyn, absolutely beautiful. I've got a paint colour called seafoam and it looks very similar.
    Hope you have a great weekend shopping and I'm a bit jealous of hubby going to the match :)
    Enjoy your birthday month x

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! i love the colour and what you did to the top. thanks for the inspiration :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Karen that is beautiful.I don't normally like blue in fact I tend to steer away from it but this is divine...-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great colour- it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! this turned out fab!! love the colour mix Karen, are you keeping this one? it does look good right where it is!!
    The dings you left are pretty cool too ;-)
    enjoy your shopping trip and your birthday month! I always milk mine too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Karen, I agree with Alison, It looks very like seafoam. perfect beachy look. Are you keeping it? It looks great in your house. enjoy Sydney. I'll give you a call - and happy birthday.
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks gorgeous Karen! Happy Birthday, hope you have a wonderful weekend... love your shopping plans! Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, thanks for linking to my Paint Parade, I'm going to feature this next week. such a lovely makeover
    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really beautiful Karen! I love the colour on top, and I keep dings too, love the character of them :)

    Hope you have a fantastic birthday week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this look! You did a great job. I also love the raw top. The pales go so well in your living space. I found you on Miss Mustard's Seed's Link Party. I'm # 144. I look forward to following along :)

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  11. BTW, how do you possibly get away with white couches? I would love nothing more but my kids would have it destroyed in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes the kids do trash them a bit but they are all slip covered and very easy to chuck in the wash and bleach all fresh and white again :)

      Delete
  12. I think the light colors of this piece are so soft and pretty. What a perfect cottage look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I love the color choice and I'm with you on the knobs. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks beautiful. the color was a good choice and the knobs are great to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just Gorgeous and the color choice is awesome! Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE YOUR COFFEE TABLE REDO, IT TURNED OUT SO CUTE, I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT, IF THAT WOULD BE OK PLEASE LET ME KNOW,
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete