February 10, 2013

Rainbow Pastels Dining Suite

I don't know how but I seem to have missed doing a post on this dining suite as soon as I had completed it...oops!

I picked up this gorgeous pine farmhouse table along with some rattan bentwood chairs which were awful and didn't suit the table.  I got rid of those, knowing that I would find some better chairs without too much trouble.
The table was in great condition, it just needed that golden honey colour removed, and oh how I love to do that!
I started by stripping the tabletop with paint stripper.
I sanded the legs and apron.
Sorry about the shadows, but you can see the table looks better already all stripped back!

I primed and painted the legs and apron in my favourite off white, then lightly distressed before sealing with wax.
Here is the table with just primer on it.  The top is still in its natural state.
I lightly distressed the legs by hand, then waxed them.  For the tabletop I followed this procedure that I have used several times for achieving that perfect shade of french willow grey that is so popular amongst shabby chic and French country fans. 

I didn't take any before or during photos of the chairs, but they were just ordinary brown colonial style kitchen chairs, in good solid condition.  I sanded these back then primed and painted them each in a different pastel shade, something I had been wanting to do for a while...I got the chance to do some here for a client and I wanted to do it again, with a couple of extra colours thrown in.
I distressed each chair by hand (a huge job!) and then sealed them with two coats water based poly. They have an absolutely gorgeous smooth feel and look which is hard to capture in photos.

Here is the suite all done...
I am thrilled with how the dining suite has turned out, it just has such a happy feel to it.
This suite is for sale, please contact me if you are interested in viewing.


11 comments:

  1. hi Karen, isn't painting chairs like that a huge effort! hope this sells quickly for you. I think it's all finally starting to pick up. I have sold 3 things this weekend and have a shop that is going to stock my furniture - at least it gets it out of the house. hope you've had a good weekend,
    cheers fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Fiona and I have done it to myself again this week although I will be spraying these ones and not distressing them (client's choice) so they should be much quicker. He wants each chair in two colours though so still a bit of mucking around. Wow you've had a great weekend for selling stuff, and getting into a shop too, awesome!

      xx Karen

      Delete
  2. Hi Karen, the table looks great. I am in the process of doing one very similar. The chairs look great all different colors. Hope you had a great weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy, looking forward to seeing your version :) How was your trip?

      xx Karen

      Delete
  3. Looks fantastic, I did my suite a few months ago, but I just lightly stained the top with japan black and tungoiled it. I am very happy ith it, but I am not sure that the zinser is doing its job of stopping chipping- but then I didn't sand the chairs or table legs- only the top. There is no way that if I were to sell it that I would get my money back on the hours I put into the job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jodie... I have had trouble with Zinsser not adhering occasionally too and I think there may be some shiny finishes that it won't stick to even though it says it should. I've had trouble with the odd piece so if I am at all in doubt I sand it...takes more time and effort but at least you have the peace of mind knowing your paint will stick :) I don't think it is until people paint something themselves that they can fully appreciate the time, love and hard work that goes into each piece :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's amazing how great those chairs and the table look now, I'm sure these will be snapped up!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing.I also love the side board in your first picture.What are you going to do with that-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no words to express how I like all of your jobs....

    Lovely Idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is so informative and makes a very nice image on the topic in my mind. It is the first time I visit your blog, but I was extremely impressed. Keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday!Source

    ReplyDelete