February 4, 2013

A fresh new look for an old desk

This is a custom job that came to me via the article in the Port Macquarie Focus Magazine...the lady had read the article then made a special trip to the markets to talk to me about this little desk...
She had owned it for about 50 years and had completed the current paintjob herself about 40 years ago.  She saw some other white pieces I had done and decided that this desk needed a new look.
The green finish was chipped and worn so I decided it needed to come off completely.  I did this by using paint stripper and sanding.  When I was uploading the photos for this post I found this one I didn't even realise my daughter had snapped...there I am hard at work!  All that stuff on the ground is the old paint...I keep telling you that this is a glamorous job, do I not? ;)
Once all the paint was gone I cleaned the desk with methylated spirits on a clean rag to get rid of any paint stripper residue, then primed it with my favourite Zinsser BIN but found that I got some tannin bleed through in a couple of spots so I did another primer coat of Zinsser Cover Stain which fixed it.

Then onto the top coat (well 4!) of my favourite off white.  A light distressing by hand with 240 grit sandpaper followed, then I sealed the inside with water based poly and the outside with wax.

Here it is now...

Once again, white paint fixes everything!  

If you have something you'd like painted and don't want to do it yourself, I can do it for you...email me with photos and I will work what it will cost :)
(Location Port Macquarie and surrounds, NSW Australia)



6 comments:

  1. love white paint always! the desk looks great but OMG what a lot of work for you. -stripping that and all those cubby holes would have been a huge effort!
    hope you had a good weekend. love the photo of you!
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much better!! And awesome to read the deets on how you did it! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great i am sure the owner would have loved it as well-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks fantastic! excellent job and white paint covers a multitude of sins :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I had a desk just like that as a kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and mine was white way back then! such a timeless look.

      Delete