November 27, 2012

Vintage Green Sideboard

If you've been reading my blog for a while you're probably aware that I have a bit of a thing for that perfect shade of 'vintage' green. It seems I am not the only one - I get emails every week asking for the name of the green paint I use.  As a business decision I choose not to share this information, but what I tell people is to find something that is the shade you are after (fabric, vintage china, even a picture in a magazine), and take the item to your paint shop where they should be able to colour match it for you...then you have your own personalised custom paint colour in just the right shade :)

I had been using the same shade of green for quite a while, and decided that it was time for a change.  It is very different to the 'old' green when put side by side but the overall effect is the same.  Colour is a funny thing like that.  You don't need to use exactly the same shade as someone else has to get the same effect.

I found this unloved little sideboard a couple of weeks ago and or course saw the potential...
It was pretty beaten up but I loved the detail.  Once it was home I sanded it right back to bare timber (it is solid pine).
Looking better already!
It needed a good clean inside...has this been inside someone's home like this, I wonder?
Here it is, all stripped, sanded and cleaned ready to prime.
I painted the inside with white Aquanamel to freshen it up and make it easy to wipe clean.  It has a middle shelf which is also painted white.  
TIP: when painting a shelf, or a door where you won't see the top and bottom edges, hammer in a couple of nails to each end, then use them to rest on two saw horses while you are painting them.  Once you've painted one side you can flip it over using the nails as handles...makes your job twice as fast and means you don't have to rest your freshly painted side down on anything while you paint the other side :)
Here it is all finished.  I put some sweet little floral knobs on it, I think they finish it off perfectly.
I have more of these available to purchase in my online store
This sideboard is for sale, details in my online store.  


13 comments:

  1. I literally drool over your makeovers. this is just amazing. thanks for the great tips too which are always valuable. love the floral knobs and the styling is simply gorgeous. it's a winner!
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Bec you are too sweet! Thankyou for your kind words they make me smile :)

      xx Karen

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Catherine, I hope so...I just have to work out how to get it to the market on Dec 8th - the trailer is already full!

      xx karen

      Delete
  3. What a superb piece Karen!! I agree...it'll sell fast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Courts - I hope you are right otherwise I might have to find a spot for it in my house ;)

      xx Karen

      Delete
  4. Hi Karen, go the vintage green!
    Looking forward to catching up soon.
    Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip about the shelves. I often paint one side first then hope like crazy that side is dry enough, when I'm finished the body, to lean against a wall at the top and paint the other side. This is a much better idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad my tip will help you Ruth...I wondered whether to include it or not but decided I would...sometimes the simplest things are the best ideas!

      xx Karen

      Delete
  6. That is beautiful Karen! Love the sweet knobs and those cute feet. You will sell this piece quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou Allison, I the knobs too :)

    xx Karen

    ReplyDelete