June 6, 2012

Furniture Makeover: Vintage Green Kitchen Dresser

I didn't take a before photo of this, but it was just another run of the mill dark coloured hutch dresser with glass doors that had 'leadlight' stickers on it.
Here it is the bottom half of it, along with the cupboard doors on my back lawn production line after getting a several coats of primer sprayed on.

I knew I wanted to do this one green, and I had a particular green in mind, to me, it is 'vintage' green, hard to describe but just the shade you find on old items, often mixed with pale pink.  A real 50's pastel green. I think I found it!

I painted the inside of the cupboards (top and bottom) with a lovely warm cream - Resene Pearl Lusta - which goes really well with the 'vintage' green - Porters Paints Glossodia.  The cupboard fronts are the same cream.  The fake leadlight glass doors just had to go, replaced with chicken wire.

Inside the bottom cupboard sits a couple of my handmade cushions, and a lovely shabby chic double bed cover I recently found.




I re-used the original hinges, after giving them a good soak in hot soapy water.


One of the original handles was broken, so I replaced the two top handles with painted wooden knobs.


The hutch alongside the matching kitchen chair.


I love the scalloped edge.




This piece is just lightly distressed, all done by hand to get the effect I wanted.  Lots of calories were burnt in the making of this piece ;)





This piece has sold.

Sharing at


Primitive and Proper
Furniture Feature Fridays
giveaways

20 comments:

  1. love that color! do you follow stacey from a sort of fairytale? i think you two have very similar fun vintage style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the exact color I was going for on that very first half table I did that you asked about!! I'd seen it underneath layers of paint on old chairs before and wanted to replicate it too...not an easy task!
    Yours looks just like it, great choice Karen!! Looks so fantastic, well worth all that effort!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the exact color I was going for on that very first half table I did that you asked about!! I'd seen it underneath layers of paint on old chairs before and wanted to replicate it too...not an easy task!
    Yours looks just like it, great choice Karen!! Looks so fantastic, well worth all that effort!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Karen - gorgeous! hope it sells well for you.
    cheers Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen your yard looked a bit like mine today, pieces everywhere.
    Love the shade of green. Sandy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, thanks for visiting my blog by way of Cassie at Primitive and Proper! i love your cabinet here...it's the perfect shade of green, just like vintage jadeite! you did such a great job on the cabinet and i love your pillows too - we definitely have the same style!
    happily following your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen, Yes the colour is perfect. Laughed at your calorie comment...too funny xxx Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hutch turned out so fabulous......I just adore that color too!!!!!! Great transformation :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! Love how that turned out. diggin' the green as well. I have a hutch w/the same yucky leaded glass stuff. I have chicken wire but it's got the thick attachment thingy (what the heck am I writing??) It's were the seams meet I guess. Anyway, it doesn't look like yours. Can you share?? Shoot me an email or something. Thanks Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another cute, cute piece. Love it!! Wish I lived close enough to shop with you because you do an amazing job.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this!!! The color is perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - just beautiful! That green is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Es precioso. Felicidades por conseguir el tono verde años 50.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Soooo Pretty, and yes, you got the vintage green down to a tee.
    Im now following you. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up your transformation projects at Shabbilcious Friday this week Karen. I'll be featuring this one tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love everything about this piece, especially the color inside and out, and the chicken wire. Charming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I shared your cute hutch today on Friday Finds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how the hutch turned out. The color is beautiful. I've finished similar projects and know how much hard work it takes. Great job...
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is delightful, the colour is perfect! Another awesome finish, the dresser is perfect with the added accessories, your cushions are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been searching for this exact shade of green.. it really does look like the vintage Jadeite pieces, and I love it. Would you be able to share what color that is with me, please? I actually want to paint a bit of kitchen wall this bright aqua green, but everything I see, is too muddy, not your crisp beautiful color... you nailed it!!!!
    my email: julieaspear AT gmail DOT com
    thank you your blog is lovely, and you are very talented!!!

    ReplyDelete