December 12, 2010

Dressing Table & Stool for Tracey

This is a recent project of mine that sold while I was still working on it.  Tracey purchased my Embellished Bedside Cabinets and matching tallboy, and when she came to pick them up, she spied the duchess and decided she would purchase it for her daughter.

Here is how it looked when I purchased it...
This piece was in lovely condition, and also had a matching stool which I don't seem to have taken a photo of until after I finished it, sorry!
As usual I sanded, washed and primed, then painted with 4 coats of off white in semi-gloss water based enamel.  Then hand distressed.  Here it is all finished...
I had the seat pad recovered in a gorgeous creamy rose oilcloth which I think looks perfect.  The young lady who was to own it wasn't so sure though, and last I heard, was still deciding if it was to stay.  
(I had already made the choice for the seat pad before I knew it was sold).
Next up for the same family is a similar dressing table in black, I am looking forward to getting stuck into that one!

xx Karen

8 comments:

  1. It is absolutely gorgeous, Karen! I think you were brave to 'attack' such a good original piece! Something we all want to do, but almost seems sacrilegious to put a paint brush to it!! Well done!! You give us encouragement and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, wow, wow Karen! What a beautiful makeover. The fabric on the chair is stunning. Can't wait to see how the black piece turns out! Love this! Sonia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is beautiful! love the legs and the hardware!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful, I love your choice of fabric, the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful! My name is Joelle from Melbourne and I have just stumbled onto your blog and am sooo glad I have! I haven't painted a thing in my life but I have bought a dresser nearly identical to this one with painting it white in mind.
    I wanted to ask, do I sand it with sandpaper or do I have to buy a sander? Also is Primer ok before painting or do you have to put on a stain stopper before priming?
    Im new to all of this.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank You
    Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! My name is Joelle from Melbourne and I have just stumbled onto your blog and am sooo glad I have! I haven't painted a thing in my life but I have bought a dresser nearly identical to this one with painting it white in mind.
    I wanted to ask, do I sand it with sandpaper or do I have to buy a sander? Also is Primer ok before painting or do you have to put on a stain stopper before priming?
    Im new to all of this.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank You
    Joal (Jo.elle)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joal, I cannot reply personally as you didn't leave an email address for me to do so. If you are an absolute beginner I suggest you look for books on painting furniture in your local library, they are full of great step by step advice. Youtube has lots of great tutorials too. If you spend some time on my blog you'll discover heaps of tips too...I am sorry that I don't have time to go through it with you step by step :)

      Happy painting!
      Karen

      Delete