November 6, 2010

Shabby Chic Tea Trolley

I have a bit of a thing for tea trolleys.  The are so practical and versatile and can be used almost anywhere in your home.  They can be a side table, a beside table, a baby change table, an extra prep surface in the kitchen, and of course be wheeled around anywhere inside or out...filled with yummy treats when you are entertaining :)

Here is one I picked up a while ago...

Nothing at all wrong with it...if you like that honey rimu colour.  But I had a plan for it...

I cleaned, then sealed it.  Then I painted it with 3 coats of Resene Quarter Ash, and once that was dry, hand sanded it to distress it.  After a dust down I applied some wax to give it a bit more personality, and here it is, with some of my favourite kitchen decor to pretty it up some more...


It sold really quickly, and the purchaser was very pleased with it :)  

I look forward to doing more as I find them...here is one that I have in my to-do pile...it is a keeper (for now!)

It does have wheels, that have since been fixed and attached (thanks, Dad!), and it is more of a table than a tea trolley but still just as useful.

Here is another one that I painted last year.  In fact this was one of the first pieces I sold :)

Do you love tea trolleys?

Where do you use yours?

Sharing this at the following great parties:

Furniture Feature Fridays

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Photobucket
xx Karen

16 comments:

  1. Those are lovely Karen! I haven't come across any tea trolleys here but if I did, I would scoop them up fast...I agree they are very versatile!

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see these making a come back. You did a great revamp on her :) Can't wait to see what you make of the other tea cart.

    Have a fab weekend!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done a great job Karen. I like the character they bring to a room. x (I don't have one at this point). :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tea carts look great. I really like the pink one, of course I'm partial to pink!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! And the pink is a fun and unexpected choice. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's one of those pices that i wouldn't even look twice at to buy and refinish, but in this case and the case of the pink one, you made them so cute and stylish, and they are so functional. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh..so pretty! I will have to keep my eyes peeled when I am thrifting. I just found your blog. Come stop by my shabby blog when you get a chance...I adore upcycling vintage thrift treasures!
    Roselle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had a tea trolly, but you sure make me want one! Yours are gorgeous, I especially like the pink one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't come across any tea trolleys here. My grandmother had one and she kept her coffee and tea service on it and used it when company came over. It was very special! You fixed those up so nicely! The pink one was darling and the new one you painted is lovely. They are very functional.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love tea trollyes!! you have done a amazing job on your trolleys!! I have one that I got when my husbands grandfather passed away. Its in my craftroom waiting to be mended.......my daughter stood on the top tray to get something up high!! Can you imagine what happened!? Once fixed i plan on painting in a teal colour + storing my craft bits + bods on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love that pink trolley! Super cute! The white one is sweet, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a tea trolley but I should. (It would be more like a coffee trolley.) So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pink tea trolley is darling! I think drop leaf tea trolley will be really sweet when you finish it up. It's nice that you will be able to expand the surface area!

    ReplyDelete