July 17, 2010

A quick little lamp makeover

I picked up this wee lamp at the local auction on Thursday, along with a gorgeous french style iron vintage bed that I cannot wait to get set up in my daughter's room, a kitchen step stool, and a framed shabby chic flower print.  Sorry, I only have photos of the lamp tonight, will save the rest for when I have some 'after' shots!

Anyway, here is the before shot of the lamp:
What a stunner!  As I have never upcycled a lamp before, I thought I would start small, and simple.  I wasted no time in ripping it to bits...
Then I masked the electrical fitting and cord, and sprayed the base with Rustoleum Spray Paint in Satin White (the one that sticks to anything, fantastic stuff!)  I got too excited and forgot to take photos, sorry!  What I did next was cut a piece of my chosen fabric (which happens to be oilcloth), then sprayed it with spray adhesive, and stuck it to my shade.  Gosh I love that stuff!  Next, I tried it on my lamp stand but it looked like it needed a little something more so I found some matching ric-rac braid in my stash, and hot-glued it around the top and bottom.  Put it back together and here it is:
I am sharing this at 


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

18 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks amazing! How inspiring - I'll be looking out for lamps from now on. Hope you have a great weekend. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to cover the lamp in oilcloth. Looks fantastic!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen, well your first lamp project, it looks amazing. Somehow I think you will be doing more of these. Love that oilcloth. Have a great weekend and I will email soon. Sandy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That lamp looks amazing Karen! Love the fabric and braid you chose. Sandy is doing 2 lamps for me at the moment and she's been sharing some of your handy hints with me re resene sealers:o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, it looks amazing, cheers katherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this is too cute! I love lamp makeovers.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous little lamp you've done! Thanks for sharing - you make it look easy! Glad I've found your blog, so much inspiration, I'm enjoying browsing through your archives! Cheers, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very darling, you'd never know it was the same lamp. I love the fabric you found.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That turned out so cute! I love the fabric. I have a large bit of oil cloth with sunflowers and poppies that I brought back from Italy and still haven't used!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job on the lamp... the fabric is beautiful (never heard of oil cloth). I agree with you, the ric-rac trim was a nice finshing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do such great work! It looks so cute and so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The lamp is adorable! So cheery now! Love the fabric and the trim is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love what you did with the shade... was a huge improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. It reminds me of Cath Kidston. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is awfully darn cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the lamp and love the idea of using oilcloth!!!

    LaKeta

    ReplyDelete