December 7, 2012

Oilcloth Doorstops

Hello, bet you didn't expect to hear from me again so soon after my last post ;)

My family and friends who read my blog won't be surprised that I haven't been able to wind down as much this week as I planned to ;)

This project came out of necessity...a necessity to create, which is constant for me, and the need to stop my doors slamming.  We are very lucky to live in a stunningly beautiful coastal village in an area with a wonderful climate that to me feels like summer almost all year round.  It does get hot in the actual summer but because we are near the beach we usually get a lovely coastal breeze that helps cool things down a bit.  I love having the doors and windows open to let the sea air in, but that means doors don't stay where they should, and often slam.  I have been using those little rubber wedges but they don't stay properly under all my doors.  So...as I was staring at my pile of pretty oilcloth offcuts the other day, thinking I wanted NEEDED to make something with them, it came to me...oilcloth doorstops.  I had seen some in this pyramid shape a few years ago and thought 'I must try those one day'. 

So here they are...
Once I had made a few for myself, I figured I'd make some to sell as well - they are cute and practical and I am sure I'm not the only one with slamming doors round here!  I think they'd make a great gift...something the recipient can use, but also something nice and pretty to look at, something a bit different.  Some of these have sold already, and one customer said to me she'd been looking for a doorstop but all she could find was a chicken, and she didn't want a chicken (don't blame her, lol!)
The doorstops are filled with sand and weigh approx 2.5kg each.  I have double stitched the seams to ensure no sand escapes.  Where I left a gap to turn them in the right way, I glued the gap shut before hand stitching it.  The base measures approx 17cm square and the height to the top of the handle is around 21cm.  This fabric is known as oilcloth but it is nothing like Mexican oilcloth which looks and feels completely different (it is basically plastic).  My oilcloth is actually pvc-coated cotton and excellent quality.  This stuff will last for years and years.
I've amassed quite a collection of prints and styles of this beautiful fabric over the years, and look forward to replenishing my stocks in the next few weeks.

I will have a selection of these with me at the Port Macquarie Foreshore Market tomorrow.  
They are $25 each.


5 comments:

  1. I bet they sell like hot cakes... very creative and I admire your drive..
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thankyou Bec...I think that creating stuff keeps me sane (at least I hope it does, lol!)

      xx Karen

      Delete
  2. Such a great idea Karen! I'm sure you'll sell every single one :) Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, just found your blog, and this is the first post i have read.
    I have seen alot of 'doorstops' on the market this year, and many in the type of fabric pattern that you have used, but what struck me about your beauties, is that, unlike ordinary fabric, yours are easy to clean! Fabric doorstops can get truly filthy, and so dont look good for long! You cant just chuck a sandbag in the wash!
    I think this is what gives yours a really unique selling point!
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete