October 17, 2011

French Farmhouse Style Table

I picked this little table up a while ago now, and in fact it has been a while since I finished it, but I never got round to posting about it from start to finish.  So, here it is...

Luckily, the table top was in such poor condition that it had started to strip itself!  Saved me some hard work...
Look at that lovely timber under there...
Looks better already, I think!

Once the top was stripped, I flipped the table upside down and primed and painted the legs and underside, using Dulux Antique White USA.

For the top, I wanted to give it a soft, natural washed effect, like a willow colour.  I chose 3 Resene test pots in grey/beige shades, then watered them down and slapped them on quite roughly and unevenly, one shade at a time, waiting for each layer to dry, which didn't take long.


Once dry, I hit the table top with the belt sander, then finished it off with liming wax (white).

Here is the finished result...
Oh yeah, I distressed the legs, too!
That is it, in the corner of my living room (next to my brand new white slipcovered couches that I am so thrilled with!)

Here are some close ups showing the finish on the top better...
Sorry about the different colours in the photos, it really is the same table top!

This next photo shows it against a willow basket I have, that has the colour I was trying to recreate.
I am thrilled with how it turned out, and it is a keeper...for now at least!

xx Karen

5 comments:

  1. It's so cute, Karen! Hope all is well in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table looks lovely, you always do such a fantastic job! And those cushions on the sofas, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work Karen! Looks perfect in the lounge too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job. It's amazing what a little elbow grease and paint will do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks beautiful there! i love everything in your living space!

    ReplyDelete