April 30, 2014

Hamptons Style Buffet and Hutch

I've just finished this large two piece solid pine buffet and hutch, and I absolutely love it!
It is a bit of a departure from my normal pastel retro cute style, but I was inspired to do this in a more classic Hamptons style after our recent trip to the NSW South Coast and Southern Highlands - Bowral in particular has some stunning shops and a fantastic antiques emporium called Dirty Jane's.

Here's how it started out...

I gave it three coats of Graphite Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, and the inside of hutch got five coats of Pure White. I've sealed it all over with clear wax.  In another departure from my usual finishing techniques I didn't distress this piece - well I did a tiny little bit on the white but none at all on the black.  I thought that the combination of the colour and the shape of this piece made quite a statement and any more going on would have just been too much.  Plus the Hamptons look I was going for is classic and understated, not OTT!












This piece is available for sale, $650. It measures 1100mm wide x 550mm deep x 2000mm high.
Pickup is from Lake Cathie NSW 2445.
For any queries or to view please contact karen@restyledvintage.com.

Sharing at www.savvysouthernstyle.net

5 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely fabulous, you must be thrilled. I have a large built in shelving unit in my living room I am currently adding more shelves to and want to somehow make it look like an old dresser. I would love to paint it dark like yours but my husband won't hear of it. I am thinking, possibly of doing the back of the shelving dark instead. The flat modern doors on mine I would like to replace with panelled doors like yours.

    It truly is lovely.

    Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looks amazing Karen! I love graphite too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i love this combo! might have to find a piece to do like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you paint the inside of the drawers and cabinets white as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I am doing DIY on very similar looking book shelve using chalk paint with identical colour tones to yours.
    I came across big challenge today by sealing the paint with wax, I didn't like the finished look and I had major mental brake down as I applied wax all over the shelve daaaaaa...I know. The wax made all the paint and wood imperfection stand out even more and some waxed areas looked like it had cloth strikes no matter how much I polished it. Also every time I touch polished waxed surface it leave finger print marks. I am devastated as I did so much preparation on this shelve removing old paint and sanding ,I tried to remove the wax but its much harder than I thought. Please HELP I am desperate for any advice:) Thank you in advance . Btw your shelve looks fantastic bravo!

    ReplyDelete