September 26, 2013

French Script Chair

Hello, I've got a very different project to show you today, different because it's a bit removed from my normal style.  I was offered this chair to purchase a few weeks ago by a friend of mine who had bought it to do up but hadn't got round to it. I'd need my head read if I said no to this beauty...


I loved the shape of the chair and knew it would look fantastic with a bit of paint on it!
I got to work stripping the old upholstery off...and pulling out the tacks...lots and lots of tacks...
I gave it a sand in a couple of places where the old varnish had been roughly applied and had left drips.  Then I gave it a wipe over and painted it with two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in French Linen.  I then mixed up a 1:1 mix of French Linen and Old White, and roughly painted this over the frame...sort of dry brushed but with a little more paint than you would usually use for dry brushing.

Once it was dry I sanded it all over with a superfine 3M flexible sanding sponge, then clear waxed it.

Onto the upholstery...I had an idea in mind for the chair (stripes) but when I saw this French script fabric brand new in at Spotlight, I knew it would be perfect for this chair and had to have it.  It is $24.99/m and I bought one metre, could have got away with 0.7m but I don't mind having leftover fabric to play with (I've got spare fabric widthwise too, not just 30cm in case you were wondering!)
In this photo you can see where I have marked the fabric with a fabric marker, I held the fabric down so I could feel the chair edge then drew along that line, before cutting my fabric there.
I actually haven't ever upholstered a chair like this before...I just made it up as I went along!
I folded all the raw edges under before I stapled - trim will cover this anyway but I wanted it to be as neat as possible.  My staple gun is powered by my air compressor - so easy to use, I wouldn't dream of doing this with a manual staple gun...they hurt my hands!

Stapling all finished, ready for the trim...
I bought 2m of trim (just a guess) and applied it all in one piece, starting at the centre back.  I had literally a 4cm piece left over (turned out to be a very lucky guess!)  I applied the trim with a hot glue gun.

I know this French script thing is a bit overdone already but I like it in the right place, and do think it really suits this chair.


The beautiful detail on this chair really shines now it's not hidden within that dark wood finish it had.


I got the trim to bend nicely around all the curves and corners without too much trouble.













This chair is a one-off and is for sale, please contact karen@restyledvintage.com for details.
Linking up with:





31 comments:

  1. I love it and your corners look perfect! Staple guns hurt my hands too ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.....love it! Great color and the fabric perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome and I love the fabric you used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have out done yourself here Karen. I think you have done a beautiful job here on the painting and the upholstery love it.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks stunning Karen you should keep it .love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been waiting for this post....what a great result...you have given me courage to attempt my chair which is similar...and shown me how easy upholstery can be!
    thanks Karen
    Bec x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It came out fabulous! Perfect color and perfect fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it Karen!! The chair has great lines, but the paint really makes it lovely. And you did an amazing job on the upholstery!! It's so smooth all over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out great. Love it.
    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning! Love the color you chose.
    Cindy @ Diy beautify

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love the redo. It looks fabulous. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/10/185th-inspire-me-tuesday.html. Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your did such a great job with this chair! Love the French script material and your choice of chalk paint. I have a Louis XVI chair that I have been wanting to recover. Thanks for sharing. I may have to try this.

    Blessings, Carol (Favorite Things Decor)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job refinishing this chair, I need it for my desk!! I would love for you to stop by tonight and link up to my Furniture and Paint Party, complete with a $50 Visa Gift Card Giveaway!!!
    Hope to see you there
    Brooke
    startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this wonderful makeover, you did a fantastic job!! Would love for you to share at Simple & Sweet Fridays. New Follower.

    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous job, I must get one of those staple guns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a beautiful chair! You do treat work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing, that is wonderful. You did an awesome job.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found you over at the Wow Us Wednesday Linky Party. Karen, you did a beautiful job on this chair! I'm actually starting one just like it this afternoon that I had intended on painting the upholstery with chalk paint. Hmmmm, this has me thinking twice. Thanks for showing me the steps to reupholster it instead!
    ~Marie@InteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the fabric and the gorgeous finish you achieved!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great job! Very nice choice on color and fabric. Where did you get that lovely fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE this chair... It turned out amazing!

    Suzie @ Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just found this post on Pinterest…I'm looking for ideas for a script chair for our home office, and you're inspiring me to reapolster my own! I'm so scared, but this looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just saw your work on Pinterest - THIS is amazing - I am in awe! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Karen you did a fabulous job. I have a chair i'd like to do this way. I can not find any fabric anywhere. I'd you order online? If you have a moment please email me at. bonzi.bonnie@gmail.com. Thx for sharing your work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous, just right down to the last detail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous, just right down to the last detail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this really is beautiful, I have just taken an interest in upcycling furniture. I also am looking into blogging. I really adore yours. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete