September 22, 2010

Beachy Kids Step Stool

A while ago I picked up this little solid rimu stool, in response to a client asking me if I painted stools suitable for children to reach the bathroom sink.  Funnily enough, the only one I had done was for my own children, it hadn't occurred to me to paint them for others!  This stool didn't suit the client so I went ahead and painted it in my vision. This is what it looked like when I purchased it:
Firstly, it was actually too tall to use as a kids step stool, so I chopped about 10cm off each leg.  Luckily, it sat level after the first 4 cuts!
Here it is with the sealer coat on...see how it is shorter, the side braces are now closer to the floor.
Waiting for the paint to dry....before giving it the super-distressed treatment! 

Previously I have done all my distressing by hand but I been wanting to give it a go with my mouse sander, and chose this project to experiment on, since it was small, it wasn't a big investment, it had lots of detail, and in my vision for a beachy feel, super-distressed would be perfect.

 I have to say, it was much quicker and easier than doing it by hand, and I love how it turned out...
And now, for some bathroom shots...
Sorry about the shadows :)
Hopefully the cute feet with half of my genes will make up for my lack of photography skills ;)
Or some Spring blossoms, maybe?
I am particularly fond of duck egg blue...the backdrop in this shot is my kitchen :)
Happy Spring, to those of us down the bottom half of the world!

I am sharing this at Cassie's party, and 


xx Karen

6 comments:

  1. Hey Karen,
    Great job!
    Love, love LOVE the colour!
    I use a mouse sander for all of my projects, saves lots of time & effort,
    S.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this turned out, it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the color of this stool! Do you know what it is or did you mix it yourself? Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful! I also love the color & the contrast you gave it. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that turned out beautifully! i love the distessing, too- and you know i have a fondness for that color. i love your bathroom by the way- so pretty! thanks for joining my party, karen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stool looks so cute! I think you have inspired us to paint the stools and table in our nook to make it look a little weathered and shabby! Might be our first try at it, but you make it look fun!

    ReplyDelete